Last night I saw Comedian the highly touted documentary featuring Jerry Seinfeld. Seinfeld might’ve been a show about nothing but, a documentary about nothing doesn’t really cut it. Don’t waste your time. You’d think with appearances by so many comics (Jay Leno, Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, Colin Quinn, Garry Shandling, Robert Klein, Ray Romano) it would be really funny or interesting, it’s anything but. Actually, you’d probably be more entertained watching paint dry. It’s self indulgent, plodding and painfully long. As much as I love language and find wordplay interesting, two hours of comics sitting in darkened clubs over a variety of meals talking to each other about the trials and tribulations of performing and creating material is just boooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggg. Nothing revealing about anyone is said, nothing controversial. The movie has the intensity of an infomercial. Imagine: “ooooooooo, look at me, I’m a comic, life is sooo tough, I have to sit around all day trying to think of funny things to say and people are sooooo mean they don’t laugh all the time.”
Please!
No comments:
Post a Comment